Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Notes and Pages: Best Music To Read To

I adore books (yeah, don't you?)

But music is cool, too. Music is like magic. Sometimes music and books effect you the same way, evoking a mood, starting new ideas and years later, bringing you back to the former points of your life. And the comfort/happiness/anger/joy/nostalgia/faith/fear/triumph that come from the notes and pages we love is a great gift.

Here is my list of best music to listen to while reading:

John Coltrane- My Favorite Things, Soul Eyes, Summertime

The Beatles- Blackbird, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, Let It Be, Come Together

Al Green- Love and Happiness, For the Good Times, How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?

Earth, Wind and Fire- Reasons, That's the Way of The World, After the Love Has Gone, Fantasy

Louis Armstrong- Black and Blue, Summertime (with Ella Fitzgerald), A Kiss to Build a Dream On

Sade- Smooth Operator, The Sweetest Taboo, King of Sorrow

Jill Scott- Golden, A Long Walk, The Way

The Isley Brothers- Summer Breeze, Back To You, Between the Sheets, Footsteps

John Legend- Show Me,Ordinary People, P.D.A, Slow Dance

...and yes, I am aware that half of my fav musicians are either dead or on oxygen. What can I say? I am an old soul.

So, what's in your top ten and why? What do you listen to while you read (if you listen to music while you read)? Post a comment, let me know.

11 comments:

papaleng said...

I love the Beatles!!!

Andrew Blackman said...

Great choices! I have an old soul too. Oh, wait, I have an old body too - that's probably why...

Anyway, I'm not so good at processing multiple types of information, so I don't really listen to music while I'm reading. If I do, it has to be something purely instrumental. Too many words confuse me. When I need a change, I might put the book down and break out some Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton for a while. But one thing at a time for me unfortunately.

Amy said...

oh wow! you have like my exact taste!
all green(lets stay together) is one of the best songs ever and I used to listen to 8 days a week on loop to go to sleep when I was little:)
So refreshing to see somebody who's not obbsesed with the jonas brothers or miley cyrus. (vomited a little just now)
john ledgend rules!
-amy

TheChicGeek said...

I love each and every pick you put up there...all great reading music!
Have a Happy Day!

Elena said...

Very cool, you've got a definite reading music taste. I like folk music, Josh Pyke, and other genres, like Andrew Bird or Cat Power. Oh and Edith Piaf, but she is the background music to my entire life!

Miss_Nobody said...

Hm, I haven't tried mixing it,maybe I should try:)Great choices tho!
Ps:Thanks for visitng

Kate Smedley said...

John Legend, the Beatles, Earth, Wind and Fire and Sade, love them all. 'After the Love Has Gone' is an all-time classic.

Book pusher said...

Hi just dropped by to pass on an award:
http://thegenteelarsenal.blogspot.com/2009/04/award.html
I love your blog.

Diomedies said...

Great choice of music.
I would just add a little Led Zepplin and it's perfect :D

le0pard13 said...

Top notch music selections to read by! For some reason, John Klemmer's sax came to mind with your question (along with this week's L.A. Times Festival of Books arrival). Along with your picks and I could happily read to (from various JK albums): Touch, Free Fall Lover, Glass Dolphins, Forest Child, and Waterwheels. Fine post. Thanks, Sharazad.

le0pard13 said...

BTW, sent you a shout-out for this in my post today.