Saturday, May 30, 2009

Banned Book? The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Now, here is one sick, twisted read.
It's a children's picture book about a little caterpillar who eats a lot. It was allegedly banned in Herefordshire, England during a healthy eating campaign because it was believed that it promoted obesity and overeating.

See, when a kid has eight chins and gets winded just by pushing the buttons on his Ipod, , it's not because he's allowed to eat two happy meals in one sitting or because he puts butter on his sausage at IHOP.

It's because of that food obsessed psycho Eric Carle & his twisted butterfly fantasy. No wonder today's five-year-olds look like Mini-Coopers! We are a nation of emotional eaters and it all started with multi-legged brainwashing during circle time in "kinney-garden".
This bug must be stopped.

Now, I don't know for sure if the book was actually removed from the library. It seems that the story has been repeated often, even on information sites. So, forgive me for jumping the gun on this one- most of the other banned books on this blog come from multiple sources.

9 comments:

Mardel said...

I'm amazed that a children's book (by a noted author) would be banned for NUTRITIONAL reasons. Amazing. Amazingly stupid. I can't believe. Oh my God.

Yvette Kelly said...

Oh this is really getting ridiculous! Kids nowadays dont get any exercise that's the problem.

Glynis said...

Oh my god! The world is crazy!

Book pusher said...

Oh dear, this one is amazing!

Rebecca :) said...

This is so utterly absurd that I can't begin to fathom the ignorance of the people who are behind it. I agree. I'm sure it was the book that made the kid fat and not the fact you don't say no to them when they ask for more food and more sweets and more video games.

Guest said...

I can't find any record of this ban actually happening from any reliable sources - I've tried the BBC and LexisNexis, which contains all UK newspapers from the last 20 years. I think it's an urban myth!

Sharazad said...

Hmmm...my guest might have a point. The banning was listed on either Wikipedia or Reference.com, I think, but now I can't find it-- until I know for sure, I am going to take it off my list- keep it as a "challenged" book, since it has also been challenged for saying that butterflies come from a cocoon (rather than a chrysalis.

For the record, some butterflies do come from a cocoon, but that's irrelevent, since this caterpillar eats a lot of junk food- something real caterpillars don't do...at least none of the ones I know.

Anonymous said...

i like this book the catipiller is my role modle and whoever wrote this article is a sad old fool in the dark. YOu are a n00b

Anonymous said...

go suck a dick faggit retard

Subscribe

Labels

Flickr