Banned, Censored, Challenged: Lord of the Flies


I hated this book when I first read it. It was my first foray into the adult section of the library and I picked up this, The Color Purple and A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton.

Now, it's one of my favorite books. I frequently slip my own little paperback copy into my purse and carry it with me to read every now and then. Sometimes, I think you have to come back to a book- it's often a totally different experience.

So, what's so evil/perverse/gay/destructive about this book? Well, besides the usual complaints about profanity, political correctness and perpetuating the idea that sex exists, there is this complaint, which I quote from the ALA:

challenged at the Owen, N.C. High School (1981) because the book is "demoralizing inasmuch as it implies that man is little more than an animal";

I've said before that the purpose of teaching literature in schools is to get kids to evaluate on their own, so this post can be short on indignant rants and long on love for William Golding's masterpiece.

In this novel, a group of British school boys are stranded on an island when their plane crashes and they have to survive on their own.It is an allegory about human nature, as the boys descend into brutality without the comfort of rules and regulations to restrain them.

What a terrific book. It's terrific the way lightening is terrific: bright flashes of frightening insight, when the natures of the characters are exposed and you realize what's being said with their actions.

Comments

Rebecca :) said…
I detested this book in high school. I can't believe the absolute lunacy of the reason for banning/challenging this book by Owen High School. I'm in NC and we read it in 12th grade.
Glynis said…
This was my favourite and is still in my top selection of books. I cannot believe it is being banned!