Friday, June 12, 2009

Illegal Reading in Progress: The Pillars of the Earth

Right now, I am reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It's a nice, long read, the kind of captivating story that takes you into another world. I am liking Philip- what a good man, I wish I knew someone like him.

The other character I like best is Jack. I can't wait to see how this little boy turns out.

William Hamleigh is every bit as evil as Philip is good- even more so. What a warped, twisted, disgusting human being. I hope this ends as well as it is going.

So, as I am enjoying this reading, I was delighted to find out that it is a banned book. It has been banned repeatedly since publication for "graphic sex and violence".

So, it's probably got a good message, theme or purpose in it somewhere- most banned books do, that's why they're dangerous. The "graphic sex and violence" is what makes William Hamleigh so revolting. He's such a meanie. He's so bad. And not "fascinating" bad like Richard III or Lady Macbeth- like Hitler bad.

1 comment:

Book pusher said...

Really loved your assessment of Hamleigh! This is a great read and you get to know more than you could ever think was possible about the process of building cathedrals and still be entertained.

Subscribe

Labels

Flickr