Friday, August 14, 2009

The Reader's Beverage

My reading beverage of choice is tea.

Tea is so...quiet. It's romantic- not the hot, red romance of wine but that comfortable, old age romance with a constant, steady warmth. "Great love affairs start with Champagne and end with tisane," said Balzac.

Tea is so adaptable. Treat a sore throat with ginger, a depressed spirit with lavender, fatigue with peppermint. Got PMS? Drink a cup of jasmine with honey and call me in the morning.


The smell of tea gives me the same feeling my dog gets when I scratch her tummy. I may not actually roll on my back and kick my leg in the air, but I sure do feel like it.

Making tea is always a ritual. You need this pot. This amount of heat, this long to steep. "Tea...is a religion of the art of life," says Okakura Kakuzo, author of The Book of Tea (1906).

The Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh said "Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future."

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" ~C.S Lewis

Celestial Seasonings
Teavana
Read The Book of Tea Online

2 comments:

Glynis said...

Tea, it goes with a good murder, a sad moment or a very polite, Victorian romance.

Mysticdave said...

Tea for me, a nice herbal blend......i like chamomile the best, very relaxing and reflective :))