Monday, February 22, 2010

What Are You Reading?

It has been a long time, since I posted- two months in fact. I have been busy and lazy...again...also I was kidnapped and then some other made-up stuff happened...

Anyway, I decided that tackling some memes would get me back "in the swing of things"- and help make regular posting easier. This one comes from Sheila of One Person's Journey Through a World of Books

Last week, I finished these books:

The Age of American Unreason by Susan JacobyThis book is about anti-intellectualism in modern America. It examines the history of American "middle-brow" culture and some of the causes of today's illiterate, folksy glorifying of know-nothings as geniuses. It was, at times, a little elitist and unfair to the Internet (there's some brainfood in the blogosphere, somewhere) but overall I liked it.

How To Read Literature Like A Professor by Thomas C. FosterThis is my new favorite genre- books about books. This was funny, enlightening and I think it will improve my chances of getting through Ulysses and seeing the beauty that others see in it.

On Liberty by John Stuart Mill
This took some time because I read it slowly. I can usually be found at the corner of History and Philosophy, anyway.


Basket Case by Carl Hiaasen
Carl Hiaasen is my new favorite author (I get one every month or so). His stories are hilarious, he has a twisted, unique and wonderful mind and I can't get enough of his books. This one wasn't my favorite so far but it was good.



This Week, I plan to read:

Sayonara by James Michener
Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen
The Faiths of the Founding Fathers by David L. Holmes
Timbuktu: The Sahara's Fabled City of Gold by Marq de Villiers and Sheila Hirtle

and

Don't Know Much About the Civil War by Kenneth C Davis

Wish me Luck!

Also, received in the Mailbox Last Week: The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine (from Betterworld Books)

2 comments:

NancyO said...

I swear, I nearly picked up Foster's book when I was at my local Barnes and Noble yesterday. However, I have a self-imposed book buying ban on (I'm saying 2 months, but we'll see) so I passed it by. Maybe I can finagle it somehow without breaking my moratorium!

Have a lovely reading week...it looks really interesting and enlightening!

China said...

I'm currently reading several books at the moment, and this is one of them...

Subscribe

Labels

Flickr