Book Fetishing: Book Quotes

You ever heard somebody say something-- or read something- that fitted your feelings so perfectly you can't believe it? You nod- gasp out loud. You feel like you want to tell somebody.

The word for this feeling is a word I learned in church- my father's childhood church- an old A.M.E Zion church. This is the church where all of my ancestors, going back for 5 generations are buried. When the preacher would start rolling and the congregation would get happy, they shouted "Amen!"

Apparently, it's original meaning is something like "So be it", but it's also a term of loud, hardy agreement. It's what you say when you feel the truth of a statement down to your bones.


A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy. ~Edward P. Morgan

If there's a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. ~Mark Twain, attributed


I know every book of mine by its smell, and I have but to put my nose between the pages to be reminded of all sorts of things. ~George Robert Gissing



A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb



A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul. ~Franz Kafka


How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau, Walden



To choose a good book, look in an inquisitor’s prohibited list. ~John Aikin

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it”- Attributed to Mark Twain, but actually comes from a Robert Heinlein book


"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes" - Erasmus The humanist


and finally...

I cannot live without books.
-Thomas Jefferson


AMEN!

Comments

rhapsodyinbooks said…
I love the quote by Morgan. How beautiful and how true!
Meghan said…
Amen to all of these! I suspect I will become Erasmus when I get a place of my own.

Especially the Robert Heinlein one, finally my feelings about censorship are all tied up in a sweet little package :).
Michele Emrath said…
Fantastic quotes...And, Amen!

Michele
Southern City Mysteries
lilly said…
Amen indeed! Love the quotes and even though I have heard some of them they just never get old and have the same resonance each time I read them.
Rebecca :) said…
I love quotes. And I love books. So book quotes just rock. Thanks for sharing this nice collection. I haven't seen the one by Edward P. Morgan before. It is a good one, too.
Avid Reader said…
I love these quotes, esp. the one from Erasmus. That one has always been a favorite of mine.