What Are You Reading?


This past week, I finished:

Sayonara by James Michener- a quick, heart-racing story about an interracial romance and the great lengths that small minds go to to tear it apart.

Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen- Hilarious, of course. Carl Hiaasen creates the most interesting women- they are always, strong,smart and a little quirky. In this story, the protagonist is JoLayne Lucks who has her winning lottery ticket stolen by two white supremacists (they need the money to form a militia). With the help of an investigative news reporter, she tracks the thieves down to get it back.


and

The Faiths of the Founding Fathers by David L Holmes- okay, this was kind of boring. Certainly not the best history book I've read. The information, though was fascinating- it spends a lot of time explaining deism & how you can tell the difference between a deist & a christian (pedantic &, it seemed to me, unnecessary). It did have something I look for in history books of this nature- lots & lots of direct quotes.
I don't like hearsay history.

I also finished Heidegger for Beginners by Eric Lemay and Jennifer A. Pitts
and Kierkegaard for Beginners by Donald C. Palmer

I didn't finish Don't Know Much About the Civil War by Kenneth C. Davis. His books are really more like reference books- the ones I have completed have all been copies that I own. This one I borrowed from the library and it was taking too long to get into.


I am currently reading:

The Age of Reason
by Thomas Paine

When Religion Becomes Evil by Charles Kimball

Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

The Partly-Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell

and still reading Timbuktu: The Sahara's Fabled City of Gold by Marq de Villiers and Sheila Hirtle

Comments