Monday, March 22, 2010

What Are You Reading?


Meme hosted by Sheila of One Person's Journey Through a World of Books.

FINISHED:

Will the Boat Sink the Water: The Life of Chinese Peasants by Chen Guidi and Wu Chuntao

This book was eye-opening and informative. It is about the struggles of poor Chinese farmers as they confront corrupt local officials who over-tax, embezzle and even murder.

It's a banned book in China, but millions of copies have sold 'underground'.

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Bartlett
This is a book for people who really like books. I learned a lot about antiquarian and rare book collecting and got to know some interesting historical figures.

It's also about a man with a serious sense of entitlement. I definitely recommend this one.


A Treasury of Great American Scandals by Michael Farquhar
This book is not really the best for someone who reads history a lot, since it covers the basic details of episodes you're bound to already know about: the Hamilton-Burr duel, Nixon tapes, Benedict Arnold. But it is good light-reading for the history buff. It gives a human face to historical figures- was James Buchanan gay? What made Ulysses S. Grant burst into tears? Who tried to steal Lincoln's body?
It's funny and it makes you want to know more.

READING

The Panda's Thumb by Stephen Jay Gould
The going is a little slow, but this is a fascinating book. It's all sciency and stuff. And I like that.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
I am loving this book.

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett
Loving this one, too.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon

Just started.

6 comments:

AngieOnTheNYIslesScene said...

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is a great, great book. Right now I'm almost halfway through Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George (into the historical novels a bit). Very good one so far.

Love your site, btw. Some great info! :)

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

This book, Will the Boat Sink the Water: The Life of Chinese Peasants sounds really good!

Thanks for telling us about it - I want to look for it now :)

Loupnw said...

Great site I`m now a follower

NancyO said...

I LOVED Oscar Wao and I'm happy that you're enjoying it too. And Small Gods -- what an awesome book! That little volume speaks loads and is one my favorites of all time book list.

Rebecca :) said...

I have Oscar Wao but haven't read it yet. Good to know you are enjoying it! I have heard good things about The Man Who Loved Books. Looks like I need to make sure this one is on my list.

lilly said...

That's a lot of non-fiction to read at once. I can usually only handle one non-fiction a month :)

Anyway, I'll be curious to see what you think about Chabon's book. I have it on my shelf but as of yet I haven't decided to read it.

Subscribe

Labels

Flickr